Today, in response to several requests for more information, I’m going to shed some light on this powerful tool and how I use it in my health coaching practice to help clients achieve better results, in less time.
Scientific evidence of hypnosis began in the 1800’s but is evidenced in many cultures thousands of years ago. It was approved in 1958 as a medical treatment by the American Medical Association.
What is Hypnosis?
Hypnosis involves a normal human physiological state of focused attention, reduced peripheral awareness and increased suggestibility. We call this state trance. Trance is a completely normal and natural state of the human mind and in fact, you’ve likely been in and out of trance many times even today. You’ve probably found yourself arriving at your destination without much recollection of the drive there, or all of a sudden realizing you’ve binge watched 3 hours of your favorite show with time seeming to pass in an instant. This is why television and radio advertising is so effective because we are in a trance as we are watching or listening, thus being more suggestible.
The hypnotherapist uses imagery, language patterns and relaxation techniques to bypass to critical faculty (or conscious mind) and give positive suggestions to your unconscious mind. Why? Our unconscious mind is the goal-getter and makes up about 95% of processes originate there. Sure, we set our goals and intentions with our conscious mind, the other 5%, but our behaviors and actions are driven by our unconscious.
How Will I Feel During Hypnosis?
Well, don’t expect to feel hypnotized. Certainly not as you may have seen in on TV or in the movies. It usually doesn’t feel much different from relaxation, most people do not fall asleep and can hear everything that is said. You are always in control and your mind will only accept suggestions that are good for you. The more you practice the deeper you’ll go into trance, it is a learning process. Hypnosis cannot be used for mind control and you will never lose control of your mind or body.
How is Hypnosis Useful in Health Coaching?
Clients usually come to me with a problem that they have not been able to solve on their own. They may have the information and even the tools to know what needs to be done, but they experience resistance, have trouble implementing and staying focused. Hypnosis can provide us access to the part of the mind that creates behavior, habits, and emotions. It can help us discover what the real issues are, and then install new positive thoughts and choices. When they have 100% of themselves working towards their goals it becomes easier, more automatic and much more effective. Hypnosis can help you understand unconscious barriers to weight loss and enhance your chances of success via a variety of types of positive suggestion.
How Sessions Work
First, the Hypnotherapist will review your goals. Then the therapist will typically talk in a gentle, soothing tone and describe images that create a sense of relaxation, security, and well-being. When you’re in a receptive state, the therapist will suggest ways for you to achieve your goals, new habits, behaviors or reactions, The therapist may also help you visualize vivid, meaningful mental images of yourself accomplishing your goals. When the session is over, you or your therapist helps you end your state of relaxation. Clients usually feel refreshed and rested at the end of the session. Sessions can be done in person or over Skype or Zoom – I work with clients all over the world.
Hypnosis is Effective for Weight Loss
Hypnotherapy has been proven effective for weight loss, stress management, pain reduction and more. It can be done in the office, or at a distance via video chat. Hypnotic recordings and self-hypnosis can also be an effective use of this tool. Hypnosis is most effective when it is paired with an active and ongoing health coaching program. Positive suggestions given during hypnotherapy can include:
- Development of an “inner ally” to help support you in making potentially challenging, but necessary changes.
- Enhancing competence and confidence via encouraging, affirming language.
- Visualization of already having achieved your goal and feeling good about it.
- Accessing and partnering with the part of your unconscious that wants to make a change.
- Comforting the part of you that may be afraid of change.
- Understanding why you have needed to use weight as a tool.
- Reframing the previous “use” of eating as a tool that can now be safely retired.
- Visualization of the new, healthier “tools” for coping, navigating personal relationships, and communicating effectively.
- Mental rehearsal to make using healthy tools more automatic.
As a Certified Health Coach and Registered Hypnotherapist, I am proud to offer this incredible tool to help my clients reach their goals in an effective, enjoyable way. If you’d like to chat with me please click here to book a free 45-minute metabolic breakthrough call with me.